Construction is not permitted on federal and District Government holidays. On the following holidays, all construction work, for which a permit is required, is illegal and could result in a Stop Work Order and may be subject to fines. For more information, visit our illegal construction webpage. Please report illegal construction by submitting an Illegal Construction Inspection Request Form or calling 311.
DOB is also closed on these holidays. Customers are encouraged to plan ahead for services requiring an in-person visit as we may experience a high volume of customers during the business days before and after a holiday closing. DOB offers many online services, enabling customers to skip the trip to our offices and conduct business 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
Construction is prohibited on these dates:
- New Year's Day: Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday: Monday, January 16, 2023
- President's Day: Monday, February 20, 2023
- DC Emancipation Day: Monday, April 17, 2023
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 29, 2023
- Juneteenth National Independence Day: Monday, June 19, 2023
- Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Labor Day: Monday, September 4, 2023
- Indigenous Peoples' Day: Monday, October 9, 2023
- Veterans Day: Friday, November 10, 2022
- Thanksgiving Day: Thursday, November 23, 2023
- Christmas Day: Monday, December 25, 2023
- New Year's Day: Monday, January 1, 2024
You may learn more about how construction restrictions are determined on holidays in the DC Code.
In Case of an Emergency
If a critical issue comes up during non-business hours, such as building issues posing a risk to the public, please contact Homeland Security at (202) 727-6161 to reach a Duty Officer. These building issues include:
- Fire-structural or habitability assessment
- Structural collapse risk to public/other structures (i.e. vehicles impacting buildings)
- Weather damage
- Building habitability
- Inspection for re-connection of utilities