After-Hours permits cover any work beyond the authorized construction hours of Monday through Saturday, 7:00 am – 7:00 pm, and construction work on legal holidays. After-Hours permits can only be approved for a maximum period of 30 days per request.
DOB does not approve After-Hours permits for work in the public right of way. Please contact the District Department of Transportation for requests for after-hour construction related to public space permits. After-Hours permits are not required for the following construction: interior painting, wallpapering, carpet installation, cleaning, or similar activities performed on the interior of a structure. Please note that these construction activities are still subject to District noise regulations in DCMR Chapter 20.
- Working after hours requires an issued DOB permit for construction.
- If the work area is within 500 feet of a residential area or zone, the work dates and times will require support from the neighboring Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner (ANC) or Single Member District representative. The support can be in the form of an email or a letter that includes representative's letterhead and signature. To find the ANC for your area, please visit anc.dc.gov.
- Begin your permit application under the permit type of After Hours
- Complete all required questions/fields (i.e. dates of operations, whether you are located near or within a residential zone, etc.)
- Upload all supporting documents before completing your submission (i.e., permits and applicable support documents)
- Applications are reviewed by the following business day.