Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Department of Buildings

Fireworks stands require permits from DOB; we will be processing applications through July 3, 2024. New applicants should view this form and follow the outlined steps, while returning applicants should follow the instructions laid out in this form. For any questions, please Contact DOB.

Menu Button

Welcome to the Department of Buildings

1 I Need To...
2 ...

Certificates of Use

Permit Description

This permit is required when occupying the public sidewalk for your eating establishment and must be accompanied with an approved DDOT sidewalk café permit. This permit must be renewed annually.

Submission Requirements

  1. Ensure that all public space rentals fees are up to date. You can contact the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) to confirm your status as well as the Office of Tax and Revenue (OTR).
  2. Approved DDOT sidewalk café permit.
  3. Current Certificate of Occupancy, confirming the use.
  4. Prior Certificate of Use, if renewing.
  5. Up to date Certificate of Liability Insurance.

Application Process

  1. Please submit your application and all supporting documents to [email protected] with the subject line of your submission as "CU – [Property Address for the CU]" for review and approval. Please allow one (1) business day for approval.
  2. Application for Certificate of Use for Sidewalk Cafe In Public Space




Permit Timeline


Contact TTY: